Affirmations, Pieter Bruegel, and Other Things Living In My Mind Rent Free


Lately I've been experiencing the kind of fake melancholia that comes with turning 18 and freaking out about how much time you wasted in front of a screen, and how much more fulfilling your life could've been if you were born before the 2000s digital age. Honestly though, I kinda loved growing up in this time, and I certainly wouldn't have traded my 2nd generation iPod touch for some stupid landline.

The internet was like the final frontier for young Claire, and among the many gifts that being online has given me, (lack of social skills, and the world's worst attention span, to name a couple) mid 2010's YouTube was by far the most detrimental.

Now, luckily, we don't have time to go through ALL of my middle school obsessions, but what I'd like to emphasize today is the lost art of the favorites video. All the lifestyle girlies made these videos, (Zoella arguably reigned supreme) where they'd show off their favorite pastel highlighters or EOS lip balm or whatever else 12 year old Claire begged her mom for. 

Aww...even back then I was under the thumb of capitalism.

In this entry, I'd like to return to my roots and list some of my current favorites! Except hopefully my selections are a little cooler than American Apparel tennis skirts and Bath and Body Works candles.
(Who am I kidding, nothing is cooler than Sea Island Cotton.)

1. This new single from Kero Kero Bonito

Mia put me onto this song when it came out a few days ago (Hi Mia!) and since then I haven't been able to escape it. (Not that I’m complaining.) Give this a try if you're looking for something cute, catchy, and reminiscent of the music from your favorite Mario Kart course. (Admit it, the Rainbow Road song does in fact go hard.)


2.  Northern Renaissance art

I, like many others before me, have fallen into the trap of favoring the Italian Renaissance. Now though, I am pleased to announce that I have seen the truth! YES, da Vinci is talented, YES, Michelangelo was cool for painting a ceiling and whatever, but can we please give the Northern Renaissance the recognition it deserves now? 

Just look at this painting by Heironymus Bosch. Look at it! Are you looking? It's awesome.



I could go on and on about how the Northern Renaissance is infinitely superior, but I won't bore you like that, so instead I narrowed it down to three big reasons:

    1. The skill level of these paintings are INSANE. Sure, Botticelli is good and all, but last I checked, he wasn't painting 3D skulls like Hans Holbein the Elder.
    2. While the Italian Renaissance was mainly limited to religious and classical themes, the Northern artists weren't afraid to experiment with genre painting, wood carvings, and printmaking.
    3. Grimes has never made a video explaining the work of a famous Italian Renaissance artist. She DID however, analyze a Pieter Bruegel piece, and i'm obsessed with it.


3. But I'm a Cheerleader

Okay okay okay! Before you crucify me, I KNOW this movie is essential viewing for the gays, and frankly, I don't know how I've gone so long without seeing it either, but I finally did. And now I can freely admit that it does deserve the hype. 100%.


There are so many things about this movie that I love — the soundtrack, the visuals, the fact that i can stare at Clea Duvall for an hour and a half (Maybe she's my root?!)

Oh! and it's free on YouTube. So go watch it if you haven't! You no longer have an excuse...)

4. @afffirmations

Ok, this one is a little weird. For the past few days I've been seeing a lot of "affirmation" posts from this account, and they're genuinely some of the funniest things I have seen in my life. Honestly, it's hard to tell if these are ironic or not, and I don't care. Either way they are ART. I just know Baudrillard would be reeling at the postmodernism of it all. (as he should!) Also...I will be quoting these until everyone around me knows them too. It's my job.







5. Ottessa Moshfegh

If you're anything like me, you spent most of your childhood behind YA novels of varying quality, until high school, when the inevitable wave of burnout hit, wiping away your love of reading along with every other skill you once found useful. (hahaha I'm FINE.) Lately, however, I've started to read again, and with that, rediscovered the joy of feeling smarter than everyone around me! A few months ago, I was hearing about Ottessa Moshfegh everywhere, specifically My Year of Rest and Relaxation, which was being recommended to me by everyone I have ever deemed cool. Naturally, I bought it as soon as could, then finished it the same day. The story, which centers around an anti-social art history major (sound familiar?) is incredibly engaging and Moshfegh's writing is great all-around. I'm already halfway through another one of her books, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. 


I also found this picture of Gibby's brother reading it, which I strongly relate to and deeply wish was not photoshopped. 


Well there you have it! Five new semi-pretentious things for you to obsess over, courtesy of me. Now that I've tortured you with my modern-day favorites list, I'll let you go. Before you leave me though, let's do one last affirmation to maintain this positive energy. Come on....I know you wanna.




SO true.

Ok bye!

Comments